THREADRIPPER

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SlipSand, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SlipSand

SlipSand Moderator Admin

Just now putting some finishing touches on the internals of the new Threadripper build but here are the current specs.

Cooler Master Master Case 5
    MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon
    AMD Threadripper 1900X
    + Fractal Design Celsius S24
    16GB 4x4 DDR4 3600 G Skill Ripjaws V CL17 (The two other sets following are for benching)
    + 16 GB 2x8 DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance CL16
    + 16 GB 2x8 DDR4 3600 G Skill Trident Z CL16
    XFX RX580 8GB XXX Edition (MSI 1080 8GB Armor will be here tom.)
    WD Black M.2 256GB SSD
    Crucial M550 512GB x2
    WD Black 1TB HDD
    EVGA 850W Bronze

The reason for this build was specifically for the use of Quad Channel RAM, 64 PCIE lanes, room for future expansion and keeping it less than the new Intel builds. The creators for the processor were not tasked with making this happen though, this was a true enthusiast built processor. Engineers at AMD were not allowed to work on this project while at work, they had to put in their own time to make this design.
    Unknown to me the system has a Gaming mode feature which disables the 4 extra cores turning this back into a 4 core 8 thread processor on demand. Keeping all of the benefits of the X399 chipset. Initially I was let down on bench mark tests switching from the i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz+ but the gaming mode makes a huge difference in games like BF1, PUBG, Quake, and Unreal Tournament. Average benches across the board bring up 10-20 FPS while eliminating the occasional shudder the i7 had.

Load times don't exist with the new M.2 and transferring files is now minimal effort. The onboard audio is a step up from the old Creative Recon 3d PCIE card I had. They even include an app for tracking audio with a transparent overlay (with minimal game support). Of course a lot of the apps included with the motherboard are "fanboy" material but all in all a solid enthusiast base for roughly $150 less than the Asus board.

The chipset support is still in its infant phase across all manufacturers and there are a few bugs here and there. Rolling BIOS/Chipset drivers will add NVMe RAID and more RAM support. Overall a grade A investment.

On to overclocking.

-Slip

.:SL:.40 likes this.
  2. .:SL:.40

.:SL:.40 Don't forget to enter our weekly Raffle guys! =) Staff Member Owner

Do what you gotta do. Looks pretty good.

3. [RWTD]Gold[BCthc]

[RWTD]Gold[BCthc] Co-Owner

Post 3dmark benchmark scores please... Well done slip